Tuesday, September 18, 2012

My God is Good



We’re living in a world filled with hopelessness, despair, disappointments, frustrations, sickness, disease, abnormalities and all other negative stuff you can think of.

It’s not hard to spot them. You can see it right outside your house. Worse, you can see them inside us, in our hearts and minds.

How easy it is to say “that’s life.” How easy it is to just go along like everybody else does.

“Anu ba naman magagawa natin? Ganyan talaga.”

The worst thing we can think is to equate God with these negative things. 

“That’s God’s will, eh.”

Disease is God’s intention to teach us or a punishment to our sins? Hopelessness? Disappointments? Troubles are from God?

Really? If so, what hope do we still have? How can we pray for healing if we believe that God gave that disease? How can we pray for guidance if we believe that God gave the problem?

I use to think this way. I thought God just keep on testing me. I thought God allowed it for His purpose. Truth is, I’m really not sure. This thought is brought by my legalism – the I-get-what-I-deserve mentality. 

People will ask me, “I prayed to God for healing my relative but He did not heal him. Then you will tell me that He is still good. How come?” 

Honestly, I do not know how to defend God because I do not know the answer to this myself. But I grew tired of knowing God as someone who breathes fire all the time. How can I approach the Lord if I see Him as the bringer of bad stuff in my life?

So I decided to believe this: God is good. And from this, I can have faith & hope. My situation will not dictate my future as long as I have a good God. As long as I have a good God, I can boldly pray that his good will be done on earth as it is in heaven. As long as I have a good God, I have hope for a better future.

For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. (Jeremiah 29:11   NKJV)

My God is good. Our God is good. 

We cannot keep on judging God’s goodness based on the bad stuff that happens to us. Instead, in the middle of the bad stuff, the sons and daughters of God boldly declares “OUR GOD IS GOOD AND HIS LOVE ENDURES FOREVER!


2 comments:

  1. A BIG AMEN to that. I've a long time ago stopped questioning because, you're right, He is l good, and He's never failed evend during those times I felt I was alone. He is faithful, no doubt about it and He always does thingsnfor OUR GOOD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. amen amen ms. yay! Our God is surely good!

    ReplyDelete